After installed a new theme, you will need to set up the sidebar. The sidebar are built by the widgets such as: About me, Archives, Categories… To manage them, you go to the dashboard, navigate to Appearance –> Widgets
You will notice there are many widgets here, but there are only a few of them are customized by the theme, the others are maybe created by WordPress or a plugin on your blog.
You click on the About me widget or drag it to your sidebar, then fill your informations.
You notice at the box Your photo URL, you will put a link of the photo (example: http://….). The link should be got from your blog: you navigate to Media –> Library. You click on a photo, look at the right, you will see the URL link of that photo, highlight it –> right click and select copy
Recent Posts with thumbnails
Like as the About me widget, we will add the Recent posts with Thumbnails widget to the sidebar.
There is a common question about this widget: you don’t see the thumbnails images, there are 2 reasons:
- Maybe you added a wrong widget, Recent posts (a default widget of WordPress) instead of Recent Posts with Thumbnails (customized by the theme)
- Your posts have not the Featured image, click here for the instruction
- Go to your dashboard, navigate to Mailchimp for WP, click the “Get your API key here” link.
- At the Mailchimp.com page, you sign up an account and get the API key, if you can’t find the API key, take a look to this article tutorial
Step 2- Navigate to Mailchimp for WP –> Forms –> Clear default form code, replace by the following code instead:
Be sure to save changes when you’re finished.
Kindly Note: If you’d like to change the text from “Let’s stay in touch!” and “Sign up here to be…” to something else, you can do so on the 1st and 2st line of the above code, but they should be a short texts.
Step 3- navigate to Appearance –> Widgets –> add the “Mailchimp Sign-Up Form” widget to the sidebar.
Instagram Feed for the sidebar
Navigate to Apearance –> Widgets –> add the Instagram Slider widget to your sidebar
We recommend setting:
- Number of photos to be 9
- Template to “Thumbnails“
- Number of Columns to 3
- Ensure your Instagram profile is set to “public“. The images will not show if your profile is “Private“.
- Do not place the @ symbol in front of your username in the widget.